It was Ch. Bahadur Singh Bhobia a soldier, who resolved to abolish illiteracy from the area. Accordingly he, with the help of some like-minded friends, opened Jat middle school in 1917 and Thakur Gopal Singh provided 14 Bighas of land for the establishment of the school. Despite grave financial crisis, the school continued to run upto 1932. In 1932 it reached to the verge of closure but was saved by Swami Keshwanand ji who took over its charge. People of the area helped Swami ji very enthusiastically. Consequently pucca buildings continued to replace old mud houses, facilities continued to add and new departments continued to be added. By the time Swami ji left for his heavenly abode this Jat Middle School had acquired the stature of a large Educational, institution, namely Gramotthan Vidyapeeth.
After the demise of Swami ji, the Managing Committee aided by the people of the area continued to lead it on the path of development. In 1977 commerce faculty and in 1980 P.G. classes were added to Swami Keshwanand College. Similarly M.Ed. classes were added to G.V. college of education and teaching of Library Science was also carried on in this college for a few years.
In 1996 the history of the institution took a new turn when new Managing Committee took over the charge of the institution under the able leadership of Ch. Abhay Singh Chautala. Consequnently remarkable development works have taken place within two years. Swami Keshwanand Memorial Public School and Home Science College were started, Krishi Vigyan Kendra has also established with the financial assistance received from the Indian Council of Agriculture Research. At present, it is a big organization consisting of ten sister concern.